Winter Chicken Stew Ingredients
- 4 chicken fillet portions, skinned and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 25 g/1 oz butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 swede, sliced
- 100 g/4 oz pearl barley
- 900 ml/1 1⁄2 pt chicken stock
- 3 potatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 green cabbage, shredded
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Winter Chicken Stew Recipe
Brown the chicken in the butter in a large saucepan. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.
Add the onion, carrots and swede to the same pan, and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring.
Add the barley and stock, and return the chicken to the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil, then simmer for 45 minutes. Add the potatoes and cabbage, cover and continue cooking for 20 minutes or until all ingredients are tender. Serve hot.