Vegetable Fritters Ingredients
- 100 g/4 oz wholemeal flour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 100 g/4 oz broccoli florets
- 100 g/4 oz cauliflower florets
- 50 g/2 oz mangetout
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 egg whites
- vegetable oil for deep-frying
For the sauce
- 150 ml/5 fl oz pineapple juice
- 150 ml/5 fl oz vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 spring onions, chopped
Vegetable Fritters Recipe
Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl, and add the cayenne. Make a well in the flour, and gradually beat in the oil and 175 ml/6 fl oz cold water to make a smooth batter.
Put the vegetables in a pan of boiling water, and simmer for 5 minutes, then drain well.
Whisk the egg whites until they form peaks, and gently fold them into the flour batter.
Heat the vegetable oil to 170°–180°C/325°–350°F in a deep-fryer (a cube of bread should brown in 30 seconds).
Dip the vegetables into the batter, turning to coat them well. Drain off any excess batter. Fry in batches until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
Meanwhile, put all of the sauce ingredients in a heavy saucepan, and bring to the boil, stirring, until thickened and clear. Serve with the piping-hot fritters.