Thai Beef Salad Ingredients
- vegetable oil for frying
- 450 g/1 lb lean rump steak
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 fresh red chillies, seeded and finely sliced
- 6–8 lettuce leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled and cut into slices 5 mm/1⁄4 in thick
- 2 tomatoes, cut into eighths
Thai Beef Salad Recipe
Preheat the oven to 240°C/450°F/Gas mark 8.
Heat a little oil in a flameproof dish until it is very hot. Add the meat and brown it quickly over a fierce heat. Transfer to the oven, and roast for 10–15 minutes.
Leave to rest for at least 5 minutes, then slice thinly.
Mix together the lime juice, fish sauce and sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Add the shallots, garlic and chillies.
Make a bed of lettuce on a serving dish, and pile the beef in the center. Spoon the dressing over and scatter with coriander and chives. Arrange the cucumber and
tomato wedges around the edge of the salad, and serve.