Rabbit Hotpot Ingredients
- 900 g/2 lb rabbit, jointed
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 12 prunes, pitted
- 4 bay leaves
- 450 ml/3⁄4 pt dry cider
- 450 ml/3⁄4 pt chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons plain flour, seasoned
- with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 15 g/1⁄2 oz butter
- 450 g/1 lb parsnips, cut into chunks
- 400 g/14 oz canned cooked kidney beans, drained
Rabbit Hotpot Recipe
Put the rabbit joints, onions, mustard, prunes and bay leaves into a bowl, cover with the cider and stock. Mix, cover tightly, and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
Remove the rabbit joints and prunes from the marinade; reserve. Pat the rabbit dry with kitchen paper, and dredge in the seasoned flour.
Heat the oil and butter in a large flameproof casserole dish, add the joints and fry until browned. Sprinkle with any remaining flour. Add the reserved marinade and the parsnips, and bring to the boil.
Cover and transfer to the oven. Bake for 40 minutes. Add the prunes and kidney beans, and bake for 20–30 minutes until tender. Serve hot.