Lentil Hotpot Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 225 g/8 oz red lentils, picked and rinsed
- 425 g/15 oz canned chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lentil Hotpot Recipe
Heat the oil in a large heavy pan, and sweat the onion and garlic until the onion is softened. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and lentils, and sweat for a further 2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, bay leaf and oregano, and season with salt and pepper.
Crumble in the stock cube, and stir in 450 ml/3⁄4 pt water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25–30 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
Ladle the hotpot into warmed bowls, and serve immediately.