Leek Tart Ingredients
- 6 large leeks, white part only
- 100 g/4 oz raw ham, diced
- 200 g/7 oz veal or lamb, minced
- 200 g/7 oz lean pork, minced
- 200 ml/7 fl oz olive oil
- 100 ml/3 1⁄2 fl oz dry red wine
- pinch of saffron threads, soaked in 2 tablespoons boiling water
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 300 g/11 oz olive oil other
- shortcrust pastry
- 25 g/1 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Leek Tart Recipe
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°C/Gas mark 5. Grease a 20 cm/8 in pie dish. Cut the leeks length ways into 5 cm/2 in strips, soak in cold water for 5 minutes, then drain.
Brown the ham and minced meat in a frying pan, using half the olive oil. Add the wine, saffron and its soaking liquid, and the nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring, until the wine has evaporated.
Sweat the leeks for 3 minutes in a saucepan using the remainder of the oil, and season with salt.
Line the pie dish with three-quarters of the pastry. Pour in the meat mixture and spread evenly over the bottom of the tart shell. Arrange the leeks on top of the meat, and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
Cut the remaining pastry into strips, and arrange over the top of the pie in a lattice pattern. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until the top of the
filling is golden brown. Serve hot.