Lamb Hotpot with Dumplings Ingredients
- 700 g/1 1⁄2 lb neck of lamb, chopped
- 2 teaspoons redcurrant jelly
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 turnip, chopped
- 175 g/6 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 parsnip, chopped and blanched
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 600 ml/1 pt vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dumplings:
- 100 g/4 oz self-raising flour, sifted
- 50 g/2 oz suet, shredded
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
Lamb Hotpot with Dumplings Recipe
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5.
Put the pieces of meat in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Spread them with the redcurrant jelly, and put in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and add the vegetables and a little salt and pepper. Stir the tomato purée into the stock. Pour over the meat and vegetables. Return the casserole to the oven, reduce the temperature to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4 and cook for about 11⁄2 hours until the meat is tender.
To make the dumplings, mix together the flour, suet and seasoning with enough water to form a stiff dough. This makes about 6 small dumplings. Add the dumplings to the hotpot for the last 30 minutes of cooking.