Irish Lamb Stew Ingredients
- 2 kg/4 1⁄2 lb lamb shoulder
- 3 onions, thickly sliced
- 700 g/1 1⁄2 lb carrots, thickly sliced
- 900 g/2 lb potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Irish Lamb Stew Recipe
Trim a fair amount of fat off the meat and reserve. Cut the meat into large cubes. In a heavy pan, render down the fat over a low heat. Brown the meat in the fat,
then set aside and brown the onions and carrots. Drain off any excess fat.
Return the meat to the pan with the potatoes, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in enough water to cover. Simmer for 2–3 hours until the meat is tender and the potatoes are soft and melting. Skim off the fat from the surface, and serve hot.