Clam Chowder Ingredients
- 8 celery sticks, chopped
- 700 g/1 1 ⁄2 lb onions, chopped
- 1.8 kg/4 lb red potatoes, diced
- 900 g/2 lb canned clams with juice
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 225 ml/8 fl oz fish bouillon
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 225 g/8 oz butter
- 250 g/9 oz plain flour
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1.2 litres/2 pt milk
Clam Chowder Recipe
Put the celery, onions, potatoes, clams, thyme, oregano, basil, bouillon and pepper in a large heavy saucepan. Gently cook for 30–45 minutes until the vegetables and potatoes are soft.
To make a roux, melt the butter in a small heavy pan, add the flour and garlic, and stir constantly with a wooden spoon for a few minutes until slightly brown.
Combine the roux with the vegetable mixture and add the milk. Stir well and cook for 10 minutes. Serve hot.