Caesar Salad Ingredients
- 1 small baguette
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 4 back bacon rashers, trimmed of fat
- 2 Cos lettuces
- 10 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and halved length ways
- 100 g/4 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
For the dressing:
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 175 ml/6 fl oz olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Caesar Salad Recipe
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
To make the croûtons, cut the baguette into 15 thin slices, and brush both sides of each slice with the oil. Spread the slices out on a baking tray, and bake for 10–5 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool slightly, then rub each side of each slice of bread with the cut edge of a garlic clove. Cut each slice into small cubes.
Cook the bacon under a hot grill until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper until cooled, then break into chunky pieces.
Tear the lettuce leaves into pieces, and put in a large serving bowl with the bacon, anchovies, croûtons and Parmesan.
For the dressing, put the egg yolks, garlic, mustard, anchovies, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce in a blender or food processor. Season with salt and pepper, and process for 20 seconds or until smooth. With the motor running, gradually add the oil in a thin stream until the dressing is thick and creamy.
Drizzle the dressing over the salad, and toss very gently until well distributed. Serve immediately.