Anchovy Tart Ingredients
- butter for greasing
- 350 g/12 oz shortcrust pastry
- 300 g/11 oz onions, chopped
- 90 ml/3 1⁄2 fl oz olive oil
- 10 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 7 black olives, pitted and halved
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel freshly ground black pepper
Anchovy Tart Recipe
Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6. Grease a baking sheet with butter.
Roll out the dough to a 20 cm/8 in square, 5 mm/1/2 in thick. Place on the baking sheet and roll the edges to make a rim. Prick the dough all over.
Fry the onion in 75 ml/3 fl oz olive oil until golden and spread over the dough.
Soak the anchovies in water for a few minutes, then rinse and dry them on kitchen paper.
Arrange the anchovies over the onion in a diamond shape. Decorate each diamond with the halved olives and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, the fennel and the remainder of the olive oil.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Serve immediately with a tomato salad.