- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 500 g/1 lb 2 oz lean smoked bacon rashers, cut into squares
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 900 g/2 lb canned red kidney beans, drained
- 1.4 kg/3 lb sweetcorn kernels
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 150 g/5 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over a high heat, and sauté the bacon until browned.
Reduce the heat and add the onion, garlic, peppers, kidney beans and sweetcorn. Pour in 350 ml/12 fl oz water. Stir well.
Simmer the succotash over a low heat for 15 minutes, then add the tomatoes. Continue to simmer for a further 20 minutes or until the sauce has reduced.
Sprinkle the succotash with the cheese, and serve hot.