Onion Avgolemono Soup Ingredients
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 50 g/2 oz low-fat spread or butter
- 450 ml/3 ⁄4 pt vegetable stock
- 450 ml/3 ⁄4 pt skimmed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 thick slices wholemeal bread, cubed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Onion Avgolemono Soup Recipe
Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
Melt the low-fat spread or butter in a heavy saucepan, add the onions and cook gently, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, until soft. Add the stock, and season with a little salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
Stir in the milk and heat through. • Whisk the egg yolks with the lemon juice. Add 2 ladlefuls of the hot soup and whisk well. Stir the egg and lemon mixture into the soup, and heat through gently, still stirring, until slightly thickened. Do not allow the soup to boil or the egg will curdle.
To make the croûtons, spread out the bread cubes on a baking tray, and bake in the oven for 10 minutes until a deep golden brown.
Ladle the soup into warm individual bowls, and sprinkle with the croûtons just before serving.