Mushroom & Veal Pie Ingredients
- 25 g/1 oz plain flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 450 g/1 lb stewing veal, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 200 g/7 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 150 ml/5 fl oz water
- 500 ml/18 fl oz beef stock
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 175 g/6 oz frozen peas
For the topping:
- 200 g/7 oz plain flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 25 g/1 oz butter
- 175 ml/6 fl oz Greek-style yogurt
- salt and ground black pepper
Mushroom & Veal Pie Recipe
In a plastic bag, combine the flour with the salt and half the pepper. Toss the veal in the flour mixture, in batches if necessary.
In large frying pan, heat half the oil over a medium-high heat, and brown the veal in batches, adding the remaining oil as necessary. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Stir the onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms, sage and 1 tablespoon water into the pan and cook, stirring, for about 7 minutes until golden. Stir in the remaining water, the stock, vermouth, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce, remaining pepper and veal. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/Gas mark 8.
Uncover the pan and cook for about 15 minutes until the veal is tender and the sauce has thickened. Stir in the peas and leave to cool. Pour into a 20 cm/8 in square baking dish.
To make the topping, in a large bowl, stir together the flour, parsley, baking powder and seasoning. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
On lightly floured surface, gently knead the dough until smooth. Gently pat out the dough into a 20 cm/8 in square. Cut into 16 equal squares and place over the veal mixture in four rows.
Bake in the oven for 25–30 minutes until the crust is golden. Serve hot.