- 100 g/4 oz carrot, chopped
- 100 g/4 oz celery, chopped
- 100 g/4 oz onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 425 g/15 oz canned cooked red kidney beans, drained
- 400 g/14 oz canned chopped tomatoes
- 150 g/5 oz cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 75 g/3 oz soup pasta such as orzo or ditalini
Pour 900 ml/1 1 ⁄2 pt water into a large heavy saucepan. Add the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, basil, oregano and pepper.
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Cover the pan, and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.
Add the kidney beans to the pan with the tomatoes, cabbage, courgette and pasta. Return to the boil and reduce the heat. Cover the pan and simmer for 5–10 minutes until the pasta is cooked until al dente. Serve hot.