Fish Chowder Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 200 g/7 oz onion, finely chopped
- 200 g/7 oz celery, finely chopped
- 150 g/5 oz carrot, finely chopped
- 400 g/14 oz canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 100 g/4 oz plain flour
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2.4 litres/4 pt fish stock
- 200 g/7 oz cooked boneless cod fillets, flaked
- 25 ml/1 fl oz dark rum
- 25 ml/1 fl oz Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- salt and ground black pepper
Fish Chowder Recipe
Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan over a medium heat. Sweat the vegetables, tomatoes and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
Add the flour, cinnamon and herbs, and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to the boil, then crumble the fish into the pan with the rum, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Season with salt and pepper, and serve hot.