Cream of Artichoke Soup Ingredients
- 750 g/1 lb 11 oz Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and sliced
- 1 , thickly sliced
- 50 g/2 oz butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1.5 litres/2 1 ⁄4 pt vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 150 ml/5 fl oz single cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cream of Artichoke Soup Recipe
Put the artichokes in a bowl with the lemon slices, and cover with water.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add the onions and garlic, and sweat gently for 3–4 minutes until soft.
Drain the artichokes, discarding the lemon, and add to the pan. Mix well and sweat gently for 2–3 minutes without allowing to color.
Add the stock, bay leaves, nutmeg and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Bring slowly to the boil, then cover and simmer gently for about 30 minutes.
Discard the bay leaves. Cool the soup slightly, then purée in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Pour the soup into a clean pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, stir in the cream and cook gently, without boiling, for 2 minutes. Serve immediately.