Chunky Vegetable Chilli Ingredients
- 150 g/5 oz quick-cooking barley
- 1 aubergine, diced
- 1⁄2 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 400 g/14 oz canned chopped plum tomatoes
- 425 g/15 oz canned cooked black beans, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 150 g/5 oz fresh spinach, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chunky Vegetable Chilli Recipe
Bring 1.2 liters/2 pt water to the boil in a large deep heavy frying pan. Stir in the barley. Cover and reduce the heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the barley is tender.
Add the aubergine, peppers, onion and garlic. Stir thoroughly, cover and cook over a medium heat for about 20 minutes until the aubergine is softened and the other vegetables are tender, removing the lid to stir frequently to prevent the mixture catching on the bottom of the pan.
Tip in the tomatoes and black beans, add the chilli powder, and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine, and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the spinach, stir through and cook for 2–3 minutes until the spinach is wilted. Serve immediately.