Chinese Vegetable Casserole Ingredients
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 4 baby sweetcorn, halved length ways
- 100 g/4 oz cauliflower florets
- 1 leek, sliced
- 100g/4 oz water chestnuts, halved
- 225 g/8 oz firm tofu, diced
- 300 ml/10 fl oz vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons soft dark brown sugar such as muscovado
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
Chinese Vegetable Casserole Recipe
Heat the oil in a preheated wok until it is almost smoking. Reduce the heat slightly, and add the carrots, courgette, sweetcorn, cauliflower and leek. Stir-fry for 2–3 minutes.
Stir in the water chestnuts, tofu, stock, salt, sugar, soy sauce and sherry, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Blend the cornflour with 2 tablespoons water to form a smooth paste. Stir the paste into the wok, bring the sauce to the boil and cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens and turns glossy.
• To serve, scatter the coriander over the top, and serve immediately.