Beef & Lentil Soup Ingredients
- 300 g/11 oz dried red lentils, picked and rinsed
- 225 g/8 oz stewing beef, cubed
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 50 ml/2 fl oz dry white wine
Beef & Lentil Soup Recipe
Bring 1.8 litres/3pt water to the boil in a large heavy saucepan. Add the lentils, beef, leek, carrots and celery. Return to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 40 minutes.
Remove the beef, drain on kitchen paper and brown in the oil in a frying pan over a high heat. When the pan is very hot, add the onions and sauté for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir with a wooden spoon until the flour browns.
Pour 225 ml/8 fl oz of the lentil mixture over the onions and stir vigorously. Add the white wine; cook for a further 1 minute. Tip the contents of the frying pan into the lentil mixture. Simmer for 30 minutes before serving.