Baked Squash Casserole Ingredients
- 1.8 kg/4 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 egg
- 200 g/7 oz coorse dried breadcrumbs
- 75 g/3 oz soft brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped onion
- 100 g/4 oz green pepper, diced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Baked Squash Casserole Recipe
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
Drop the squash into a large saucepan with enough boiling water to cover. Return to the boil, reduce the heat and cook until tender, then drain, reserving the cooking liquid. Mash the squash.
In a bowl, combine the squash and its cooking liquid, egg, two-thirds of the breadcrumbs, the sugar, onion and green pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
Turn the mixture into a large casserole dish, and cover with the remaining breadcrumbs. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until lightly browned. Serve hot.