Aubergine, Mozzarella & Cheddar Hot Pot Ingredients
- 4 large white potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 aubergine, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 275 g/10 oz canned chopped plum tomatoes
- 425 g/15 oz canned cooked chickpeas, drained
- 25 g/1 oz green lentils such as Puy, picked and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 25 g/1 oz mozzarella cheese, finely grated
- 25 g/1 oz Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Aubergine, Mozzarella & Cheddar Hot Pot Recipe
Put the potatoes in a saucepan of salted cold water. Bring to the boil, and cook until beginning to soften – do not cook completely. Drain and set aside.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently sauté the aubergine until it begins to brown. Turn and repeat on the other side. As each piece is done, remove to kitchen paper.
When the aubergine is cooked, stir the onion in the frying pan until softened, but not browned. Stir in the tomatoes, chickpeas, lentils, garlic, parsley and seasoning. Cook over a medium heat for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
Mix the cheeses together. Add the boiling water to make a paste.
When the tomato mixture is ready, spoon the remaining mixture over the bottom of a large casserole dish. Cover with half the aubergine and add another third of the tomato mixture. Layer on the remaining aubergine.
Spread a third of the cheese mixture on to the aubergine. Add half the potatoes, another third of the cheese and then the remaining potatoes. Finish with the final third of cheese.
Cover and bake in the middle of oven for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for a further 10 minutes to brown.